Co-Designing a Curriculum for the Future Learner
December 10, 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Mariam Hashemi | Ryerson University and Nova Spere
Summit Stage Recording
About the Speaker
Mariam Hashemi, MA, CPF
Founding Director @ Nova Spere Consulting; Higher Ed Professional @ Ryerson University
- Focusing at the intersection of thought, action and imagination.
- Higher Ed professional, consultant, philosopher, artist, and speaker.
- Over 15 years experience in higher education, process consulting, art and philosophy.
- Master’s in Human System Designs, Bachelor’s in Philosophy and French.
- Accreditations in mindfulness, facilitation and building healthy organizations.
- Designing innovative cultures with human creativity and ethical AI.
Purpose of Education
How We See
How We Think
How We Learn
Change over time: education is in the midst of a shift
Education: intrinsic and extrinsic drivers of motivation
The future learner is changing → what and how we teach needs to adapt
Changing Values and Relationship
Impact of Technology Over Time
“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.” ~ Albert Einstein
Why Change Now?
Making Sense of Chaos and Structure
Natural world process based on nature of reality: physics, math, perception
Finding fractal patterns
Co-Designing Innovative Cultures with Collective Systems Mapping
Collective systems maps reveal inner structures of design thinking →
Interconnectedness, interdisciplinary, intergenerational, intercultural
Design principles as drivers of culture
Guiding Values, Design Principles & Impact Analysis
Co-designing a curriculum for the future learner
= rethinking education
= redefining stakeholders
= relearning learning
- Bottom up processes – peer to peer learning
- Interdisciplinary communication – holistic approach
- Cyclic timespan – never ending, lifelong
Open Systems Theory: Social Science that Actually Works (Emery et al.)
Integral Theory (Ken Wilber)
Purpose of Education Chart(Matt Church)
Origin of Lewin’s Change Model (Kurt Lewin)
Pew Centre for Research Infographic (Pew Centre)
Changing Education Paradigms (Sir Ken Robinson)
Chaordic Organizations (Dee Hock)
Fractals and Gestalt Psychology (Various)
Gestalt and Aesthetics (Various)
World Economic Forum Skills for the Future (WEF)
Self-Mastery (Psychology Today)
Collective Imagination (Haley Lynch)
Darwin Matrix (John Rainford)
Design Thinking (HBR)
Change Leadership with Context Consulting (Mary Stacey)